In this video, Dr. Greg Martin provides an introduction to research methods, methodology, and study design. Specifically, he takes a look at qualitative and quantitative research methods including case-control studies, cohort studies, observational research, etc.
Discussion #1 is an effort to prepare you for the completion of your final assignment (Assignment #5) and Discussion #1 for this course. After reading Module 1: Identifying a Study Question/ Problem and Module 2: Selecting a study approach (Chaps. 1-10) and watching the videos on ” Writing a Research Proposal” and ” Research Methods – Introduction ” answer the following questions below.
The minimum word count for all initial post questions (total) to the discussion board question(s) should be 500 words or more (excluding reinstatement of the discussion board questions and references).
*Discussion #1 is based on your proposed topic from assignment #1. Therefore, you are answering question 1 based on your assignment #1 submission*.
1) What is your proposed topic/title and reasoning for the selected topic (Refer to assignment #1)?
2) Critique of ONE article pertaining to your selected topic from Assignment #1:
All students are required to critique an article found in a healthcare-related journal.
The critiques should be 500 words or more (Excluding references). Your critique should contain the following elements:
- Provide a complete citation of the article (the title of the article, authors, journal, volume, year, and pages).
- What are the research questions/hypotheses?
- What are the major theories that it examines (be sure to briefly explain the
- What is the research methodology (sample size, independent variables,
dependent variables and how were they measured)?
- Summarize the major results
- What does the author say is the major contribution of the study?
- What would you say are the strengths of the study with a focus on its methodology?
- What would you say are the weaknesses of the study with a focus on its methodology?
- Provide Link to Article in APA format; as a reference
(Focus on what the article is stating and how does it pertain to your research topic of choice). You can use FIU Library and or do a Google Scholar Search. Do not use Wikipedia. Post a link to the full-text research article in (APA format).
–Your experiences may be very helpful and interesting to all of us. However, be sure that you also back up your posts with factual information from the text (when it applies to the initial discussion board question (s) and responses to peers) or other creditable sources. A minimum of ONE (1) reference is required to support your response to the discussion question. You may cite the course required textbook and or other sources in which you have used content from. Make sure your references are in APA format.
B) Reply to a classmate: Critique your classmate’s post by including a respectful substantial response that includes supportive facts, details address your classmate by name, and a minimum of 150 words or more (excluding references). The responses to your classmate’s postings should actively stimulate and sustain further discussion by building on peers’ responses including:
— Address classmate by their name
— Build a focused argument around a specific issue
— Ask a new related question
— Make an oppositional statement supported by personal experience and related research.
— Overall, peer reply should consist of substance, facts, details, new information, and probing questions to enhance the discussion.
— A minimum of ONE(1) reference to your classmates’ posting is required. You may cite the course required textbook, peer-reviewed journal/article, and or other creditable sources in which you have used content. Make sure your references are in APA format.*