After careful reading of the case material, consider and fully answer the following questions:
1. Describe “active” data warehousing as it is applied at Continental Airlines. Does Continental apply active or real-time warehousing differently than this concept is normally described?
2. In what ways does real-time data warehousing fit with the Continental strategy and plans?
3. Describe the benefits of real-time data warehousing at Continental.
4. What elements of the data warehousing environment at Continental are necessary to support the extensive end-user business intelligence application development that occurs?
5. What special issues about data warehouse management (e.g., data capture and loading for the data warehouse (ETL processes) and query workload balancing) does this case suggest occur for real-time data warehousing? How has Continental addressed these issues?