6-1 Discussion: Personality Disorders
In this module, you will explore the concept of personality disorders.
Often, figures in the public eye are deemed by non-experts to be narcissistic. How would you explain to a friend the difference between high self-esteem, narcissism, and narcissistic personality disorder?
For your initial post, review The Three Subtypes of Narcissistic Personality Disorder and The Psychology of Narcissism. Then choose a historical figure or a character from TV or a movie to answer the following questions:
- In what way does this person exhibit grandiosity and self-importance?
- Based on the article, which of the narcissism types most accurately reflects the character of this person?
- What are the various cognitive, emotional, and environmental causes of narcissistic personality disorders?
- Why do the diagnostic features of narcissistic personality disorder fall on a spectrum?
- How does the concept of personality disorders apply to any of the following programmatic themes? You may want to review the Programmatic Themes document.
- Social justice
- Emotional intelligence
- Career connections
Remember to respond to two peers while being respectful of and sensitive to their viewpoints. Consider advancing the discussion in the following ways:
- Engage in conversation with your peers around personality disorders.
- Consider asking a question or sharing your personal experience.
To complete this assignment, review the Discussion Rubric. You will also need: